National Civics Bee
Calling all middle school students! The Colorado Chamber of Commerce invites you to share your ideas and show off your civic skills in the National Civics Bee competition!
About the Bee
The Colorado Chamber Foundation is partnering with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation and six local chambers of commerce across Colorado to host a statewide civics competition. The 2023-24 National Civics Bee encourages young Americans in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade to engage in civics and contribute to their communities. The competition, modeled on traditional spelling and geography bees, gives students the chance to win recognition and earn cash prizes by sharing ideas for improving their communities and showing their enthusiasm for civics. The winner of the National Civics Bee Colorado State Finals will be invited to Washington, DC to compete in the inaugural National Civics Bee national championship on November 12, 2024.
We are hosting the National Civics Bee Colorado State Finals because we believe that informed and active citizens make for a strong country, a strong economy, and a strong workforce, and that our continued prosperity depends on the strength of all three. Through the Bee, we are promoting greater civic knowledge throughout Colorado and celebrating our civic pride.
How to Participate:
- Colorado middle school students from public, private, charter and home schools must submit their entry to just one of the following four local chambers of commerce participating in this year’s competition.
- See below for the local chamber located nearest to your residence to go directly to that chamber’s competition page. You will submit your entry directly to the local chamber that you have selected. Important: Students may only choose one of the four local chamber civics bees to enter. Multiple entries will be disqualified.
- Click here for more information on event eligibility, rules and guidelines, judging criteria, the entry essay and more. Additional information for each local region can be found on the event pages below
Participating Local Chamber Events and Essay Submissions
Find details on each local event and the online essay submission forms below:
- Arvada Chamber of Commerce: Home Page and Essay Submission
- Buena Vista Chamber of Commerce: Home Page and Essay Submission
- Craig Chamber of Commerce: Home Page and Essay Submission
- Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce: Home Page and Essay Submission
- Eastern Plains Chamber of Commerce (Falcon, CO): Home Page and Essay Submission
- Windsor Chamber of Commerce: Home Page and Essay Submission
The top 3 students from each region will advance to the statewide competition hosted by the Colorado Chamber of Commerce, which will be held on May 17, 2024 in Denver. The first-place winner of the statewide competition will receive a $1000 cash prize ($500 for second place and $250 for third place). The Colorado State Champion will advance to the National Civics Bee competition in Washington, D.C. on November 12, 2024 to compete for the National Title as well as over $50,000 in prizes!
Are you interested in showcasing your company’s commitment to developing active and engaged citizens? For information about available corporate sponsorships, please contact Crystal Lind, [email protected]
Thank you to our 2024 Sponsors
Civics Champion Sponsor
Civics Advocate Sponsor