In this Capitol Report:
This Capitol Report is brought to you by:
Department of Revenue Adopts Emergency & Permanent Rules for Non-Collecting Retailers
Please be advised that the Colorado Department of Revenue has adopted a temporary emergency rule and a superseding permanent rule on Notice and Reporting Requirements for Non-Collecting Retailers (Rule 39-21-112 (3.5)).
The emergency rule continues the prior emergency rule, without amendment, and will be replaced by the permanent rule, which the Department expects to take effect on January 1, 2018. The emergency rule and the permanent rule and additional information can be accessed online through the Secretary of State’s eDocket system using the following hyperlinks and tracking numbers:
Emergency Rule: 2017-00511
Permanent Rule: 2017-00279
The emergency rule can also be accessed online through the Department’s website under the the heading “Emergency Tax Rules”. Please contact Loren Furman at email@example.com or at 303-866-9642 with any questions.
The “Holy Grail” of Networking
By Dave Tabor, Senior Vice President, Business Partnerships
The “Holy Grail” of networking is easy to find if you know where to look. It’s how to introduce oneself so that a flowing and stimulating conversation ensues. Here’s mine: “I’m Dave Tabor, head of membership at the state chamber. We’re the group that makes sure Colorado is a place where businesses can succeed.”
‘Thanks to Kendall Colman of Colman Coaching, those attending the program hosted by Andy Ahrendt of PCL Construction on October 26th are, like me, much more eager to network, and much more capable of doing so effectively!
If you missed out and want us to offer it again, please contact Bonnie Finley, Manager of Member Engagement.
Put These Events On Your Calendar!
Wednesday, December 6, 2017
3:30pm to 4:30 pm
(Just before the CACI Holiday Happy Hour)
Find out how to leverage your membership into something more meaningful by hearing from CACI staff, CACI Council Chairs and CACI members.
Jon Anderson, Holland & Hart and CACI Chair
Tell us who you are and why you joined CACI
Dave Tabor, Sr. VP of Business Partnerships
Lalitha Christian, Manager, Membership Programs
Tricia Smith, Sr. VP of Events & Political Fundraising
Legislative Overview and Councils
Loren Furman, Sr. VP State & Federal Relations will introduce Council Chairs and CACI Lobbyists
What other members say…
Sweets & treats will be served, and attendees will receive a $10 gift card to Red Robin!
CACI Holiday Happy Hour
5pm to 7pm that same day!
10 Barrel Brewing
2620 Walnut Street, Denver
Free Valet available within the block
*Look for the green & white umbrella
Garage Parking at 27th & Blake
*Just around the corner
*If you are lucky
Thank you to our event sponsor!
Department of Revenue Convenes Stakeholder Meeting on Proposed Regulation for Partnerships & S-corporations
Please note that the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Taxation is convening a stakeholder workgroup to discuss whether to promulgate a regulation concerning the processing of payments made by partnerships and Subchapter S corporations on behalf of non-residents partners and shareholders.
Details on Stakeholder Meeting
Date: December 11th
Location: 1313 Sherman Street, Room 220, Denver
Background: Colorado law requires pass-through entities, such as partnerships and S-corporations, to ensure that their nonresident partners, shareholders, or members pay Colorado income tax on their Colorado-source income. Pass-through entities can satisfy this requirement in one of three ways:
- submit an agreement (DR 0107) signed by the nonresident attesting that the nonresident will file a Colorado income tax return and pay any applicable tax;
- withhold and remit income tax on the non-resident’s behalf that the nonresident may claim on their own individual return (DR 0108); or
- include the nonresident in a composite return in which the pass-through entity calculates and pays tax on the non-resident’s behalf (DR 106).
Purpose of Stakeholder Meeting: This group will be convened to explore and consider changes that alleviate administrative burdens and improve efficiencies for taxpayers, tax practitioners, and the department. Specifically, the Department will discuss the possibility of (1) eliminating Form DR 0108, (2) establishing a method for pass-through entities to remit withholding for all nonresident partners, shareholders, or members collectively, and (3) allowing nonresident partners, shareholders, and members to claim on their individual income tax returns the tax paid on their behalf in a composite return.
How to Participate:
- Provide comments about the advisability, scope, and content of a regulation concerning processing Pass-thru Entities’ composite payments. Email your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org November 20, 2017.
- If you are interested in being a member of the work group, please submit an application by November 20, 2017. If you cannot attend in person please indicate in your application the need for a conference call and the Department will try to facilitate your participation.
Interested parties not selected as members of the work group may still take an active role in the rulemaking process by attending the work group meeting and providing comments during the public comment period of the work group meeting or by submitting written comments to email@example.com.
Please contact Loren Furman at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 303-866-9642 if you should have any questions.
Last Federal Council of 2017!
Join us at the Federal Reserve Denver
for insights into our communities, economy & federal policy!
Time: Noon – 1:15pm, Luncheon
Location: Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City – Denver Branch
Entrance located on Curtis Street between 15th & 16th Street Mall, halfway down block.
Special Guest Speaker:
Ariel Cisneros, Sr. Community Development Advisor, Federal Reserve Bank
- How do community development trends interact with, inform and reflect business trends? Where do we see Colorado’s growth going over the next 2, 10 & 20 years from a community development perspective? What can the business community learn from that perspective?
- Federal policy updates on: healthcare, tax reform, budget, Clean Power Plan repeal, Congressional buzz, legislative calendar for the rest of 2017 & more!
- Special tour available of the Money Museum for those who want a glimpse into maintaining our nation’s currency
Please RSVP to Leah Curtsinger by calling (303) 866-9641
**Please note** You will need to present a photo ID to enter the Federal Reserve, as well as clear a security screening.
Parking: Street & garage parking available in neighborhood